The Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching is seeking a Researcher (at lecturer level) to investigate the use of blended learning in challenging circumstances at the University of Cape Town.
The Researcher will work under the supervision of the Principal Investigator, with colleagues from three other South African universities. The main responsibility of the Researcher is to develop case studies of the use of blended learning in challenging circumstances. The successful candidate should have the ability to work independently and be able to communicate effectively with staff and student within UCT. They will also be part of cross-institutional project teams and assist in the implementation of the research to ensure that the project objectives are met in a timeous manner.
We are seeking an appointment to this post as soon as possible. The contract is eighteen months long, 32 hours a week.
- Masters’ degree
- Proven track record of research experience using qualitative approaches
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking core research tasks such as literature reviews, developing data collection tools, e.g. questionnaires and interview guides, and conducting data collection and analysis.
- Ability to assimilate, analyse and present data
- Excellent academic writing skills with ability to contribute to reports and research publications
- Competence in referencing and use of referencing software
- Strong computer skills (which include advanced Word and Excel)
- Ability to successfully work with a diverse team of researchers and a variety of stakeholders
- Interest in online education
- Ability to successfully multi- task and work with minimal supervision
- A high level of attention to detail
- Project management, time management & organizational skills
- South African or South African permanent residency or valid work permit for the full period
- A PhD (or close to completion)
- Proven track record of research experience using quantitative approaches
- Strong theoretical educational expertise
- Experience researching online education
- With PI develop theoretical and analytical framework
- Develop case studies of the use of blended learning in challenging circumstances in Higher Education.
- Undertake literature reviews, interviews and analysis
- Develop data collection tools
- Liaise with colleagues at other South African universities to share research instruments where possible
- Writing of research outputs
The annual cost of employment, including benefits (where applicable), is R R357 133.34
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Cindy Gilbert at Cindy.Gilbert@uct.ac.za
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- A copy of your highest qualification
- Cover letter that addresses your suitability for this position in terms of the criteria set out above, and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) (maximum of 4 pages)
In addition, please send an example of a recent research output (e.g. journal articles or book chapter) and a recent presentation (e.g. slides or link to a recording).
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line. An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Telephone: 021 650 5837
Reference number: E70815
Closing date: 24 August 2017
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available here. For this post we seek particularly to attract candidates from designated groups.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.