Call for Applications
This is a call for applications to the SAAIR members and other interested researchers to be appointed as Collaborating Researchers in the joint SciSTIP and SAAIR research project on the theme: The scope, synergy and uptake of research into Higher Education in Southern Africa.
The PI and lead researchers seek to appoint six collaborating researchers.
See the attached document for details on the project.
The selected collaborating researchers will be expected to participate as members of the research team in all the activities related to this project, including:
- A Conceptualisation Seminar / Lead Seminar on 10-11 May 2017 in Stellenbosch.
- Two case studies at universities in South Africa and other SADC countries (to be conducted during 2017 and 2018).
- An authors’ workshop in July 2018 in Stellenbosch.
- Presentation of a paper at the SAAIR Annual Conference in October 2018.
The travel and accommodation costs for the Conceptualisation Seminar in 2017, the case studies and the Authors’ Workshop (in 2017) will be covered by SciSTIP and SAAIR. The costs related to the attendance of the SAAIR Annual Conference in 2018 will be for the Collaborating Researcher’s own account / own institution. No remuneration will be paid to the researchers.
The six Collaborating Researchers will be selected on the basis of the following criteria, approved by the Executive Committee of the SAAIR:
- Member of SAAIR (if not already a member at the time of application, selected collaborating researchers will be expected to become members of the SAAIR).
- Preference will be given to people from the designated groups (as defined in South African legislation).
- Career-age appropriate research performance (Note, this refers to the years involved in a career relevant to this research project, not physical age.)
- Commitment to this project, commitment to higher education in general, and commitment to SAAIR and the achievement of its goals.
- A background in one of the areas of IR (including planning, data management and reporting, HE environmental scanning, Quality Assurance, learning analytics, etc.) or in higher education research in general.
- Capacity development (in accordance with one of the key goals of the SAAIR)
- Collaborating researchers can be from any institution, including the institutions where lead members are based. Each collaborating researcher will be allocated to work with a specific lead researcher.
- Leadership qualities.
Letters of application are to be send to either of the project leaders (Prof Jan Botha, email@example.com or Ms Nicole Muller firstname.lastname@example.org), including the following supporting documents
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae, including information that would speak to the selection criteria outlined above.
- A motivation (approximately 300 words) why the applicant wants to be considered for this project and considers himself/herself to be a good candidate.
- A letter from the applicant’s supervisor/line manner at work, stating that the applicant will be allowed to participant in the events listed above and to work on the project.
CLOSING DATE: 24 March 2017
We believe that this is an important project and an exciting opportunity for emerging as well as established researchers and we look forward to your application.