Eastern Cape, Grahamstown
Re-Advertisement: Director in the Centre for Postgraduate Studies at the level of Associate Professor/ Professor
Rhodes University is a research-led university. It seeks to grow its already vibrant postgraduate studies programme through its Centre for Postgraduate Studies (CPGS), hence the University is seeking to appoint a dynamic, innovative academic leader to advance the scope and impact of postgraduate studies. The dedicated CPGS, which the incumbent will lead, works across disciplinary boundaries in the university, and across institutional boundaries with universities around the world to advance both the scholarship and practice of postgraduate studies.
We seek someone who has a strong research profile, who has experience in providing postdoctoral support, and someone who has a solid track record of supervising Master’s and PhD students to completion. The successful candidate will advance relevant institutional, national and international programmes that can strengthen postgraduate studies in the University.
Applicants are encouraged to watch the short video on the CPGS housed on the Rhodes University website to learn more about its various offerings and research initiatives: https://www.ru.ac.za/postgraduategateway/
The requirements of the post:
- A PhD with considerable teaching experience at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- A solid track record of supervising Master’s and PhD students to completion, with postdoctoral support experience.
- Evidence of a national and/or international research profile.
- Track record of administration, management and leadership roles.
- Applicants are required to meet the criteria for the relevant post level. Please refer to the Role Profile document for further information on the requirements relevant to the different levels of appointment, and key performance indicators of the post.
The application process:
It is essential that prospective candidates read the role profile for the post and the further particulars documents for more information on the requirements and ensure that all relevant documentation is submitted.
- The following documents are required:
- An application form which should be completed in full.
- A strong and succinct motivation which tells us about:
- Your research trajectory.
- Your supervision experiences.
- Your teaching approach and experience.
- The level you are applying for, your interest in the post and suitability in light of the requirements.
- A comprehensive CV and relevant qualifications which should include the following: –
- Reasons for leaving your current and previous jobs.
- Referees who are and/or were your direct line manager, their title, name, designation and contact information which should be at least their contact number and email address.
No hand-written applications will be considered. Failure to submit all documentation will result in an application being disqualified.
Any questions or enquiries regarding the submission of an application, can be addressed to Ms Ntosh Gongqa at firstname.lastname@example.org or 046 603 8616. Shortlisted candidates will be informed of the interview date.
Remuneration per annum:
Annual Basic salary: R887 318 per annum
Approximate annual cost to company: R1 138 361 per annum
Annual Basic salary: R1 086 915 per annum
Approximate annual cost to company: R1 385 804 per annum
All applications will be treated in strict confidence. This post is advertised as permanent post, but the University may opt to appoint on a fixed-term contract of not less than three-years. The University reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview. Employment checks will be conducted on recommended candidates. Please apply online by accessing the Rhodes University Website.
Recognising that diversity is important in achieving excellence. Rhodes University strongly encourages South African members of underrepresented designated groups as well as persons with disabilities to apply. Spouses and partners of existing staff members are also encouraged to apply.
Please note all appointments are made in line with the requirements of the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998, as amended, the Immigration Act No. 13 of 2022 and the University’s recruitment and selection policies.
Rhodes University has a vaccination mandate as part of its Conditions of Service. The implementation of the vaccine mandate has been held in abeyance from 01 January 2023. Should the COVID-19 situation change in a way that the number of cases of COVID-19 pose a threat to the University, the implementation of the Vaccine Mandate will be re-activated and all staff would be required to be fully vaccinated.
Closing Date: 12 January 2024