The University of Cape Town is looking for a visionary leader in the field of educational development to
take the Centre for Higher Education Development into a new direction. CHED has built a national and
international reputation in the area of educational development over two decades and it is currently
refocusing its work to respond to the new challenges of teaching and learning in South Africa in the 21st
Reporting to the DVC for Teaching and Learning, the dean will be responsible for the reconceptualization
of the work of CHED and providing support to all faculties in the implementation of UCT Teaching and
Learning Strategy. As part of the senior management group of the University, he/she will contribute to
the strategic and operational leadership of the University as a whole.
The dean’s responsibilities will include:
• To provide intellectual, relational and strategic leadership to CHED through the integration of the
work of all CHED’s departments.
• To support the DVC Teaching and Learning in the implementation of UCT’s Teaching and Learning
Strategy in response to the institution’s strategic plan.
• To promote and develop high quality teaching and learning across disciplinary fields at the
• To support the transformation of curriculum across all faculties.
• To identify, engage in and have oversight of key areas of research on teaching and learning for
CHED with a view to inform decision making at UCT.
• To ensure CHED’s adherence to governance, administrative and financial management processes
accepted at UCT.
• A PhD as a minimum academic qualification and a record of academic achievement in teaching and
learning, and research.
• Recognized as an authority and a thought-leader in the field of educational development.
• Demonstrated understanding of the local and international higher education landscape.
• Demonstrated knowledge of South African higher education policy.
• A record of experience in curricular review in relation to contextual challenges.
• A proven transformation record and a commitment to social justice.
• A record of experience of financial and HR management within higher education.
Remuneration will be appropriate to the senior management level and includes sabbatical and
discounted fee benefits. The initial term of appointment of a Dean is for five years and there is a limit
of one contract renewal, subject to performance assessment.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Mr Craig Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org:
• a covering letter which addresses the above criteria, including a statement on your
potential contribution as Dean
• your full curriculum vitae with the names and contact details of three referees.
• the HR204 application form for Senior Executive Posts available here.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo an assessment.
Please ensure the post title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
Shortlisted candidates may be requested to provide further documentation on their candidacy.
The appointment procedures are available here.
Telephone: +27 21 650 5429 Reference number: E19370
Nominations with a brief motivation may also be sent to Mr Craig Alexander at email@example.com .
Closing date for receipt of nominations: 2 August 2019
Closing date for receipt of applications: 18 August 2019